These are my family-famous made-from-scratch brownies. I went to my dad's house last night to bake some for him while he manufactured a support board for the shelf I had to have him cut. My computer desk was not made for a tower, so to have it in an appropriate place without taking away room for my feet on the floor I took out one of the side shelves but hated to loose the shelving space.
Of course, I did get some of the brownies (not letting me take some would be cruel and unusual punishment), and mine are sans-nuts. Any kind of nut gives me sores in my mouth, besides the fact that I'm nutty enough already. So, his has walnuts that I sprinkled on top. Here's the recipe for whoever is interested:
For a single cookie sheet:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
2/3 cup cocoa
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
Mix the eggs about 3-4 minutes on medium speed (I use a KitchenAid mixer), add the sugar and blend. In a separate bowl (or I use big liquid measuring pitcher) mix the oil and the cocoa. Add to the eggs & sugar mixture and blend. Add the flour (I do one cup at a time so it doesn't make a mess!), and the vanilla.
If you want nuts, we put in walnuts and you can either grind them up to small pieces to mix in with the mixer(about a cup or so, depending on how nutty you want it) or lately my dad has enjoyed having the walnut halves left whole and so then I have to mix them in with a spatula. Don't forget to spray the cookie sheet so they don't stick, and pour out into the cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. With nuts it takes 5 minutes or so longer to be done in the middle.
If you don't have any cookie sheets, I'm pretty sure this batch will fit into 2 9x13 pans and be the right thickness and consistancy. Last night I forgot to mix in my dad's walnuts after pouring out the batter for my stepmom & I's no-nuts pan, so I simply sprinkled them on top of his and kinda pushed them in a little.
We think they are delicious, please comment if you try them out and tell me what you think of them. The recipe is marked "from Grandma Inglenook's Cookbook" on my mom's recipe card that I've used since I was a kid.
