The pattern for these Halloween potholders was in the September/October 2010 issue of Crochet Today!, and I knew I just had to make them! Since my stepson's favorite holiday is Halloween, I thought I could connect with him in the spirit of the season with these. I'm not into the zombies and witches side of it , but I can be ok with pumpkins and black cats. He loves them, and after Halloween he is going to put them with the rest of his "spooky stuff" collection in the basement.I also had an idea a few weeks ago that crochet would also be a good way to make a spider web. So I looked around and found this pattern at Caron International, and proceeded to make it for my father-in-law (though with black yarn instead of gray).

He also really likes Halloween, and Halloween-related things - so much so that he wanted and got a hearse to drive as his regular car. I only actually made half of the pattern, because it would have been about 4 feet in diameter and he didn't want it that big. Next I'm going to try making it with Silver Metallic size 10 crochet thread and a small hook to make it in miniature to be sort-of closer to the size of a real spider web. I really enjoy finding a pattern for something that I know a friend or family member will really like, and being able to make it for them.