Monday, September 17, 2007

Rich Mullins - In Memory

I wrote this Monday, and saved it as a draft so that on Wednesday (the anniversary of Rich's passing away) I could simply tell it to post. Well, Wednesday came and went and I completely forgot. So, here it is, two days late. On another note, I'm saddened by the guilty verdict that came out yesterday against Floyd Landis, because I believe that he won the 2006 Tour de France cleanly and fairly. They just didn't want to have another American win, and they allowed a clearly incompetent lab bungle the testing without having them properly back up their test results. If you are interested and want to read up on it, go to either Floyd's website or to the Trust But Verify blog.




Well, it's been 10 years since the passing of an amazing poet, songwriter, and lover of Jesus, Rich Mullins. His influence on the Christian music world is still felt - more than a typical ripple of a rock being thrown in a pond. More like a tsunami, but not in a destructive way, but an amazingly long-lasting way for better honesty and craft in songwriting.


Just a couple of weeks ago I had the most amazing image in my mind of Rich jammin' up in heaven with the likes of J.S. Bach, G.F. Handel, Charles Wesley, Isaac Watts, John Newton, Felix Mendelssohn, Asaph, and King David. Just imagine what they talked about, how they fellowshipped with one another, and then Jesus is right there being so wonderfully glorified! I hope I get to hang out with them someday, and actually when I read the Psalms and these others' hymn lyrics and play their music I think in some ways I am able to know them a little even this side of heaven. Much of a person's soul comes out in the music and words that they write.


God, I know you wanted Rich up there to be with you, but we sure do miss him down here.