Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Playin' the Blues

I'm taking a course online through Berklee College of Music's Online School - "Blues and Rock Keyboard." I'm having fun with it so far, but most things haven't been all that new to me (in terms of playing). Anyway, what is new and really cool is being exposed to a lot of fantastic musicians who play blues (and jazz) piano. I never really listened to blues much before, though I am a big fan of swing, big band, and some jazz - which comes partially from one of my favorite professors at college, Doc Thornley, who been playin' his trumpet in heaven since 2005. I would absolutely love to talk to him about this class and the great players I'm listening to, and what I'm learning to do on the piano. He would definitely be smiling, and talking about how blues led to swing and big band.

In honor of Doc, here is a YouTube video of Gene Harris, an absolutely jaw-dropping jazz and blues pianist, here playing with the Ray Brown Trio.