Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Total Lunar Eclipse

There is a total lunar eclipse tonight in America. You can start looking at 8:43 as it begins, and then it'll be totally eclipsed, during which time the moon will look red, for about 50 minutes starting at 10:00. If you are a wimp like me and don't like the cold, prime time will be at 10:26 (eastern time, by the way) so that is when I will bundle up and pop outside. I wish I already got the telescope I'm probably going to get with my IRS rebate money.

For info about it, go to NASA's webpage about it here.

A really cool picture of the last total lunar eclipse in March of 2007 is the Astronomy Picture of the Day here. The picture is copyrighted, so I can't put it up here. The guy who photographed it left the lens open for the whole thing, so you see all the phases.