I just started reading this book last week, and I thought during the weekends that I will blog about the past week's chapter. I like that it is laid out with something to read each day of the week, and then nothing on the weekend. It gives me time to ingest some more what I read - and to blog about it! :-)
This past week was about Elohim - God, Mighty Creator. At the very beginning, when everything was created God revealed Himself as Elohim, which is the plural form of El which is one of the oldest words used for divinity in the ancient world. The Hebrews actually borrowed it from the Canaanites, and so it can be used for pagan gods or for the one true God. Elohim is used in the Old Testament 10 times as much as El, and the reason is that the plural form better emphasizes the majesty of the one true God. I agree with Ann Spangler that it probably also hints at the Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. A lot of times it is paired with Yahweh (which I'll read about in chapter 6) and translated into English as "LORD God."
I have difficulty understanding people who look at the beauty of the Earth and proclaim that God doesn't exist, and that He didn't create it because it happened "all by itself." Puhh-leease! Just looking at the vibrant colors, the variety of plants and trees and animals, the different climates, the mountains, valleys, plains, deserts, and oceans is amazing!! And then, I think about Biology class and how delicate the balance of everything is, especially when thinking of human beings and what it takes for us to survive. A mile closer to the sun it would be too hot, and a mile further away from the sun it would be too cold. All of this points to Elohim - God who is the Creator, the God above all gods.
Since this is about praying the names of God, now I will type out a prayer, guided by the book and the questions in it, to pray to God who is Elohim.
Thank you, God, for creating this beautiful Earth. You are truly amazing, mighty, and awesome, and that is so evidenced by Your creation. Show me more of your Glory in all that You have created. You are also God who can give me everything that I need, and You know what I truly need. There are a lot of things I desire, like being married and less stress about money, but I desire the most to follow You and be in Your will. Help my desires to conform to Your desires. Thank you for all that You have already provided for me, and what You have already planned for me to have in my life. I pray that I can use it all for Your honor and glory. You are the God of yesterday, today, and forever, and You truly do not change. I can always trust You, always depend on You, and always lean on You. Thank You for being my Rock, and my Firm Foundation. You are also the God who has promised to bless His children, and You have a plan for my life. You will not fail to accomplish not only Your purpose for me, but Your purpose for the whole Earth. Help me to look for Your face, and to have the courage to walk towards Your dream for me which will further Your Kingdom. Thank You for loving me, and giving Your Son to pay for my sins and allow me to be in Your presence. Hallelujah! In Jesus' name, Amen.
Now I will close with a song that this study of Elohim brought to mind, and played over and over in my mind. Hopefully this will not break copyright laws to post the lyrics. Go out and by the CD with this song, it is GREAT!! I haven't signed up for the nifty thing to be able to link that to a place where you can buy it, but I think most people have heard of places like Amazon.com and such. I actually would rather you buy from CBD (Christian Book Distributors) or from your local Christian bookstore.
Yesterday, Today and Forever by Vicky Beeching
Everlasting God
The years go by but You're unchanging
Is this fragile world
You are the only firm foundation
Always loving always true
Always merciful and good
So good
Yesterday, today, and forever
You are the same, You never change.
Yesterday, today, and forever
You are faithful and we will trust in You.
We will trust in You.
Uncreated One
You have no end and no beginning
Earthly powers fade
But there is no end to Your kingdom
Always loving always true
Always merciful and good
So good
Yesterday, today, and forever
You are the same, You never change.
Yesterday, today, and forever
You are faithful and we will trust in You.
We will trust in You
We will trust in You
In You
Yahweh God unchanging
Yahweh firm foundation
Yahweh God unchanging
Yahweh firm foundation
Yesterday today, and forever
You are the same You never change
Yesterday today, and forever
You are faithful and we will trust in You
We will trust in You
We will trust in You
Faithful God
We will trust in You
We will trust in You
Faithful God